KidLit Forum

The Master Students in Children's Literature Meet Here
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 23:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017 19:38 

''The bad beginning'' is the first book from the series ''A series of unfortunate events'' . It presents the horrible situations three siblings pass as a result from their parents' death.Violet the eldest has 14 years old and is passionate with inventions, Klaus, next in line, has 12 years old and is passionate with reading and Sunny the youngest is just a baby, she is nearly 2 years old and likes to chew things. The Baudelaires, as they are referred in the novel, become orphans as their parents die in a fire that destroys their mansion.However, they are left with an enormous fortune but a clause in the will says that they cannot touch it until Violet comes of age, this meaning she has to turn the age when a person is considered an adult.
In the first book the children are left in the care of Count Olaf some distant relative they never heard of , who is always after their fortune, and the children life in this inconceivable ugly house and are terrorized by their new tutor.Their legal guardian Mr. Poe fails to offer them proper protection and the three children have to get along by themselves. Eventually, they manage to run away from Count Olaf, but no good things wait for them.
The style is very ironic and the author keeps telling in the novel that bad things are going to happen and from the first chapter it acknowledges the readers that the book does not have a happy ending, but this also makes the readers be more attracted by the action and keeps them interested and also participate in the action finding solutions to help the three orphans.
From all the books I've read this semester by far this is my favorite. I like the style Snickett uses it keeps me always active while reading the book and I have the impression I am part of the story.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]