KidLit Forum

The Master Students in Children's Literature Meet Here
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 12:48

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Narnia
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015 22:00 

Narnia is a story in which four children: Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy get into another world through a wardrobe, as the portal to the country in which it's always winter but never Christmas. There, of all four, only Edmund takes the side of the White Witch, who wanted to take control over Narnia. Aslan, the king of the wood is back there to help the children beat the witch. He sacrifices himself as Christ did for humans to save the others' life, and he also obey The Emperor Beyond-the-Sea just as Jesus obey God. Later on, although the children have met their destiny in Narnia, they came back home and lived their normal life. Time in Narnia is different from the normal time, this way, although they thought they were away for a long period of time, they were actually away for a few moments.

Post subject: Re: Narnia
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015 15:11 

It is interesting that in this book the story takes place in two different worlds: Our world and in Narnia. And also I have to mention that the children choose to go to Narnia through that wardrobe. At first, Lucy enters the wardrobe and suddenly finds herself in Narnia. When she returns home she tells her brothers where she was but they do not believe her saying that this could not be possible because she was gone only for a second. And I think that the eternal winter from Narnia symbolizes a stagnant time. I think that Lewis portrayed Aslan as a lion and not as a human because maybe he taught that an animal would be more interesting and fun. It is always fun to see an animal talking.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015 15:55 

The question is from where the intrusion of fantastic can be perceived?In our world the magical object, the wardrobe represents a portal to Narnia.The existence of the wardrobe shows the sensitive border between the two worlds. Lucy could never enter Narnia in the lack of the magical object.The fact that it facilitates the access to the others confirms that already the characters coexist with the supernatural. The fact that the animals speak constitute a supernatural evidence. The resurection of Aslan prooves that in a fantasy world anything is possible.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015 21:44 

The White Witch is cruel and sadistic. She claims the throne of Narnia by force. She enchantes Narnia so it is always winter and never Christmas. The Whitch carries a golden wand for turning living things into stone. Even if the Witch is hated by everybody, no one except Aslan has the power to stop her.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015 21:45 

The major aspect that I noticed while reading this story is that related to Edmund's greed and
self-interest during the adventure in Narnia. When he was invited to the palace of White Queen , he ate like a horse that Turkish Delight :'' at last the Turkish Delight was all finished and Edmund was looking very hard at the empty box and wishing that she would ask him whether he would like some more". [i]In addition, when the Queen proposed him to bring his brother and sisters there, he hesitated to acccept the offer because he was afraid of losing some privileges [ "I am sure you would like it. There are whole rooms full of Turkish Delight, and what's more, I have no children of my own. I want a nice boy whom I could bring up as a Prince and who would be King of Narnia when I am gone. While he was Prince he would wear a gold crown and eat Turkish Delight all day long; and you are much the
cleverest and handsomest young man I've ever met. I think I would like to make you the Prince -
some day, when you bring the others to visit me."
"Why not now?" said Edmund. His face had become very red and his mouth and fingers were sticky].
However, there are some signs of sorrow after a short period of time, ['' Edmund was already feeling uncomfortable from having eaten too many sweets, and when he heard that the Lady he had made friends with was a dangerous witch he felt even more uncomfortable. But he still wanted to taste that Turkish Delight again more than he wanted anything else] , but they disappear when he remembers that visit to the White Queen and also her promises.
In conclusion, this story is a significant lesson of life for children because they can observe the consequences of being greedy, selfish and self-interested.( Maria Bondea)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]