KidLit Forum

The Master Students in Children's Literature Meet Here
It is currently 18 Jan 2018 07:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016 21:56 

On of the quotes that I liked the most in this books is the one that can be found in chapter "Darius & the Clouds":
Quote:
"You can never have too much sky. You can fall asleep and wake up drunk on sky, and sky can keep you safe when you are sad. Here there is too much sadness and not enough sky. Butterflies too are few and so are flowers and most things that are beautiful. Still, we take what we can get and make the best of it."

I was very impressed by these words as they comprise so much sadness yet the sky means hope for these people. And even if there is "not enough sky", they still get "the best of it", meaning that they have a reason to go on. Darius even associated one cloud with God, which means, on my opinion, the need of feeling safe, of being home, of belonging there.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016 23:25 
Site Admin

Elena Vlasin wrote:
... Even this traumatic experience cement her desire to escape Mango Street and to have her own house,she discovers her emotionally and realises that she will never be able to leave Mango Street behind because she wants to help the women from that place,to help them to change and see the life in a different way.

"this traumatic experience cements her desire to escape" -- wow! What an expression! How many Romanians would think of using "cement" as a verb in such a construction?

Well... it's only that others have said it before you, as google shows. Plagiarism again!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016 23:02 

The house on Mango street is an uncommon book, I felt like I was actually browsing a photo album as a guest in the house of the Mango street and little Esperanza was sitting next to me explaining every photo in a short story.
The story began when Esperanza was 6 and with her dream of having a house of her own , she felt a need of stability because in her world stability was hard to achieve:
Quote:
You want a friend, she says. Okay, I'll be your friend. But only till next
Tuesday. That's when we move away. Got to. Then as if she forgot I just moved in,
she says the neighborhood is getting bad.

The little girl from the beginning of the book felt like an outsider, she felt she was too different from the others, she felt that her name sounds weird, she felt she didn't look as the others, she tried to find her identity (and eventually she did).
Quote:
I'm her sister, says Rachel. Who are you? And I wish my name was Cassandra
or Alexis or Maritza—anything but Esperanza—but when I tell them my name they
don't laugh. [...] In English my name means hope. In Spanish it means too many letters. It
means sadness, it means waiting. [...]At school they say my name funny as if the syllables were made out of tin
and hurt the roof of your mouth. But in Spanish my name is made out of a softer
something, like silver, not quite as thick as sister's name—Magdalena—which is
uglier than mine. Magdalena who at least can come home and become Nenny. But I
am always Esperanza.
I would like to baptize myself under a new name, a name more like the real
me, the one nobody sees. Esperanza as Lisandra or Maritza or Zeze the X. Yes.
Something like Zeze the X will do.

we can see a kind of frustration because the others don't feel the subtleties of her language, of her way of living
She speaks about 'we' and 'the others', and that shows how little they identify with Americans, and how little Americans really want to know them, she speaks of hips, of first jobs, death, life, first about her, and after about people, about a whole neighborhood, a collective story.

My favorite story is born bad. All the stories have something nostalgic. The author achieved her plan of creating poetic text with the most unofficial language she could find.
It will be a lot to say for every short story, but I would like to share my favorite funny quote instead:
Quote:
This is the tree we chose for the First Annual Tarzan Jumping Contest. Meme won. And broke both arms.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2