KidLit Forum

The Master Students in Children's Literature Meet Here
It is currently 19 Apr 2024 03:21

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 12:27 

I enjoyed reading this poem and it was interesting the point of view that it offers us.
If find interesting these lines:

And nobody could enough admire
The tall man and his quaint attire:
Quoth one: ‘It‘s as my great-grandsire,
Starting up at the Trump of Doom‘s tone,
Had walked this way from his painted tombstone!’

So who was this Pied Piper? He seems to be dressed like a funny man, almost clownish (I would so that he is dressed this was so that he can hide his appearance) but from the description I would say that he is The Death messenger. So can we say that this town was already cursed to death?
My answer: probably. Because we can find biblical mentions like: A text which says, that Heaven‘s Gate
Opes to the Rich at as easy rate
As the needle‘s eye takes a camel in!
Children were the ones that had they soul pure and so Pied Piper knew from the beginning that the mayor, who was interested in his good wealth, he would never honour his promise.
Also, the only boy that was left behind regrets because the place was so beautiful described:
I can‘t forget that I‘m bereft
Of all the pleasant sights they see,
Which the Piper also promised me:
For he led us, he said, to a joyous land,
Joining the town and just at hand,
Where waters gushed and fruit-trees grew,
And flowers put forth a fairer hue,
And everything was strange and new;
The sparrows were brighter than peacocks here,
And their dogs outran our fallow deer,
And honey-bees had lost their stings,
And horses were born with eagles‘ wings;

That is why all children were happy to leave the town? They knew they were going to heaven? Or they were the price the mayer did not honour his promise?
We all know that children are the most precious thing prople have and without children human continuity can be lost.
And we have a single surviving rat that travels to the rat land home and tells the story. So we can say that this is the magic of every story. And maybe in the future be will hear a version this story from the rat’s point of view.
Or is this story a lesson for adults which say: you must keep your promis or else... ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]