KidLit Forum

The Master Students in Children's Literature Meet Here
It is currently 04 May 2024 16:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Matilda, by Roald Dahl
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018 19:25 

I enjoyed Matilda very much because I really like the author too. Roald Dahl's books are very popular among children's books. I can tell that in all his books children always win.
Matilda's parents were bad kind of parents and even cruel, but Dahl is on the children's size and they always win against the bad people, so she did to.
I didnt't hope that the book will end in the way it did. It makes me think that , even if it is a happy ending, we can make it happens only in stories, but not in reality.It wouldn't be posible in our days, because it isn't so simple: you abandon your child in somebody's care for good and life goes on. It's not working that way!
I feel sad whwn I am thinking at the fact that such kind of families really exist and I feel sorry for their poor children, because they are neglected and they don't exist for their parents.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018 20:25 

As small as she was, Matilda had the power to change her own fate, to turn the dice in her favour. This is what education actually does!

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2018 15:00 

Matilda wouldn't have achieved so many things if her parents were close to her. Her parents are the "necessary evil" in her life. In the moments she was alone, Matilda taught herself how to read and write, she discovered all those amazing books that she read, and she became more attentive to other people's problems. It is said that if you teach somebody how to use a computer and you tell him about some of the things he could do with it, that person would only use the computer for those specific tasks only. But if you show him a coputer and tell nothing about its functions, the person would surely discover even more things about it than you could teach him.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2018 17:43 

Teachers who read "Matilda" have even more fun than children and young readers have. There are sections in the book when teachers totally find themselves in Dahl's little ironies. I read for so many times the section in which the narrator speaks about what he would tell some students' parents if he could. I bet most teachers felt like using those words at least once in their life: "The periodical cicada spends six years as a grub underground, and no more than six days as a free creature of sunlight and air. Your son Wilfred has spent six years as a grub in the school and we are still waiting for him to emerge from the chrysalis." (pg. 3)

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2018 18:15 

We could say that "Matilda" is a story about how not to teach your students. Maybe in the past harsh words, loud voice and phisical correction worked in the educational system. Today this approach isn't admissible anymore. You don't educate a child/student by beating him/her or by repeating again and again how stupid and good for nothing he/she is. That would ruin the child's chances of ever being good at something.
"The Trnchbull" is the kind of teacher that uses brutality and phisical punishments in order to make students learn or remember what she taught them. She keeps telling them that they are a bunch of fools that do everything wrong: "You were wrong! The Trunchbull barked! In fact you strike me as the sort of poisonous little pockmark that will always be wrong! You sit wrong! You look wrong! You speak wrong! You are wrong all round!" As we could see the only thing she achieves is to make students abhor and reject her.
At the opposite pole we have Miss Honey. She praises children who are right and encourages those who are too shy or give wrong answers. She creates the perfect atmosphere for children to pay attention and learn.
:idea:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]