KidLit Forum

The Master Students in Children's Literature Meet Here
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 19:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019 22:49 

To Kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee is a novel about a child,s view of race and justice in the Depression-era South.
The narator and protagonist of the story,Jean Louise,,,Scout,,Finch lives with her father ,Atticus,her brother Jem and their black cook,Calpurnia,in Maycomb.She is intelligent and by the standards of her time and place,a tomboy.
In my opinion Scout eventually develops a more grown-up perspective that enables her to appreciate human goodness without ignoring human evil.
JUSTICE is an important theme in To kill a mockingbirth,in which Scout confronts difficult truths about bias and racism within her community.She learns that while the courts can be a potential source of justice.This lesson is especially important when she discovers that the legal system does not always return the morally right verdict.
In the following chapters,Scout recounts a series of amusing stories introducing us to the main characters in the book and establishing the town,s SOCIAL ORDER.At the urging of their friend ,Dill,Scout and Jem try to coax their mysterious neighbor,Boo Radley,out of his house.Boo has lived as a prisonier in his own home.He has become a figure of local gossip and speculation and the children are terrified and fascinated.When Scout enters school ,we meet Walter Cunningham,the son of a poor but proud family of farmers.When Walter comes to lunch at Scout,house ,Scout is reprimanded for mocking his table manners,one of her first lesson in empathy.
I like very much Atticus,s ability to put himself in his children to appreciate the good qualities and understand the bad qualities by treating others with sympathy and trying to see life from their perspective.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019 23:35 

Indeed Atticus is a respectable character, he is ready to sacrifice his job and even his life in the name of righteousness. I also apreciate how he is raising up his children. I wonder why they call him Atticus instead of daddy or dad or whatever. Maybe you can give me an answer ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]